2023年9月27日: 海洋无脊椎动物学 students are preparing for the Benthic Underwater 社区 Survey (BUCS) project "cube" deployment to monitor for marine invasive species at 马萨诸塞州海事足球买球app. Organisms will grow on plexiglass surfaces called settlement plates that are attached to the PVC cube frame. These settlement plates allow students to observe weekly changes in relative species abundance over the course of the semester. This project is intended to add quantitative value to the Massachusetts Office of Coastal Zone Management's citizen-science Marine Invader Monitoring and Information Collaborative (MIMIC) program, 哪个MSSEP已经参加了几年.
2023年8月10日和博士一起. 克里斯汀斯本, MSSEP students Jessica Rotondo and Aidan Webb participated in the MA Coastal Zone Management rapid assessment survey for marine invasive species. They traveled along the northeast coast sampling for invaders at marinas. A group of 30 scientists from around the country came to Mass Maritime to process the marine samples.
2023年8月3日: 8月1日，一个来自美国的代表团.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) came to the Wareham Middle School to view the stormwater investigative work being conducted by the 巴泽兹湾 Stormwater Collaborative. The 巴泽兹湾 Stormwater Collaborative is a partnership between the 巴泽兹湾 NEP, 马萨诸塞州海事足球买球app, 和八个秃鹰湾镇(伯恩), Wareham, 马里恩, Mattapoisett, Acushnet, 就, 达特茅斯, 和韦斯特波特). The Stormwater Collaborative is an excellent example of how NEPs can promote efficient partnerships to meet our collective goals to protect and restore water quality and living resources. The EPA delegation was most impressed with the work of the Maritime students and how this program helps advance the completion of their degrees.
Marine Science, 安全, and Environmental Protection
足球买球app, 安全, and Environmental Protection (MSSEP) program focuses on environmental safety, 足球买球app, 公共卫生问题. 研究生s are prepared for careers that tackle global challenges such as climate change, 不断减少的自然资源, 环境恶化, ever-increasing safety and environmental regulations, 绿色可持续发展, 不断增长的能源需求.
First-year cadets participate in a tropical ecology field course in Bermuda. Cadets study the complexity of the ecosystems while basking in the natural environment. They also have an opportunity to enjoy snorkeling and hikes through mangroves and tropical dry forests.
This program requires a six-week co-op/internship and a three-credit co-op, with opportunities in industries such as cruise lines, 环保合规, 消费品和工业品, 联邦机构, 以及研究机构.
- Utilize technology critical for environmental and 足球买球app
- Analyze coastal zones and associated management strategies
- Deliver presentations on complex topics within the 足球买球app and the marine safety fields
Careers as environmental and safety officers at sea (on cruise ships, 钻井船, 石油钻井平台, NOAA队, 海岸警卫队,) and on land with numerous companies and institutions; environmental consultants and remediation specialists, 环境管理人员, 科研技术人员, 执法, 地理信息系统专业, 和教育工作者. 足球买球app毕业生的一些职业包括:
- US Environmental Protection Agency or State Department of Environmental Protection Department scientists and safety specialists.
- NOAA Fisheries or State Division of Marine Fisheries scientists and safety specialists.
The experiential field course trains incoming MSSEP cadets in field methods and integrative problem solving related to ecological and environmental sciences at the world-class Bermuda Institute of Ocean Sciences (BIOS). Students gain an understanding of the scientific method and apply modern scientific techniques in the field from hands-on experience in observing, 收集, and analyzing data through guided scientific excursions and laboratory work.
水产养殖与足球买球app实验室, 还有几艘科考船, provides onshore and at sea marine research project opportunities for all students. Underwater video mapping of eelgrass and shell beds, 海洋物种培养与研究, 或者沿海的雨水流出, are all being conducted to support regional environmental decisions.
1. Students should monitor aquatic systems to produce and evaluate data regarding chemical, 生物, physical and/or geologic properties of such systems.
2. Students should apply practices in marine and industrial safety.
3. Students should assess environmental and human health risks.
4. Students should analyze coastal zones and associated management strategies.
5. Students should develop and deliver purposeful presentations on complex topics within the 足球买球app and the marine safety fields.
6. Students should evaluate the primary scientific literature and apply their analysis by composing effective scientific research papers.
7. 学生应该应用足球买球app, safety and/or environmental protection knowledge and skills to cooperative experiences.